I grew up on Old-Fashioned Pastie Slab and my family loves it…
For the price estimates here we’ve used a large national supermarket, but it’s possible (and highly encouraged) for you to look around at your local farmers market, local butcher or at discount grocers.
More Reading: 98 Frugal Meal Ideas
You’re likely to find many of these ingredients even cheaper there!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 1/2 Kg Sausage Mince $3.50
- 2 Potatoes peeled and cubed - $1.20
- 2 Carrots peeled and cubed - $0.90
- 1 Onion finely diced - $0.55
- 1 cup Cabbage thinly sliced - $1.00
- 1 cup Cheese grated - $0.80
- 2 Puff Pastry (sheet) $0.90
- 1 Egg $0.45
- 1/2 Tbsp Salt And Pepper pinch - $0.15
More Easy Recipes
Love This Recipe, Grab Jody’s BookALL-NEW RECIPES TO FEED YOUR FAMILY OF FOUR FOR ONLY $50 A WEEK
- Chop up all the vegetables fairly roughly (rustic) and steam them until just soft.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sausage meat and egg together and break up the sausage meat.
- Add the cooked vegetables and the cup of cheese and mix together well. Season to taste.
- In a shallow baking tray, overlap the two pieces of pastry, then pour in the filling, and cover with the pastry joining in the middle (fold it like an envelope).
- Brush with the egg, and cook in a medium oven for about 30 minutes until golden brown all over!
- Serve with tomato sauce and a fork!