I grew up on Old Fashioned Pastie Slab and my family love them – super cheap and tasty to make and full of delicious winter vegetables and sausage meat with pastry…. A really good Best of all – you can usually feed a family of four for under $10 – with leftovers – seriously!!!
For the price estimates here we’ve used a large national supermarket, but it’s possible (and highly encouraged) for you to look around at your local farmers market, local butcher or at discount grocers. You’re likely to find many of these ingredients even cheaper there!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 500 grams Sausage Mince $3.50
- 2 Potatoes peeled and cubed - $1.20
- 2 Carrots peeled and cubed - $0.90
- 1 Onion finely diced - $0.55
- 1 cup Cabbage thinly sliced - $1.00
- 1 cup Cheese grated - $0.80
- 2 Puff Pastry (sheet) $0.90
- 1 Egg $0.45
- 1 Salt And Pepper pinch - $0.15
- Chop up all the vegetables fairly roughly (rustic) and steam them until just soft.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sausage meat and egg together and break up the sausage meat.
- Add the cooked vegetables and the cup of cheese and mix together well. Season to taste.
- In a shallow baking tray, overlap the two pieces of pastry, then pour in the filling, and cover with the pastry joining in the middle (fold it like an envelope).
- Brush with the egg, and cook in a medium oven for about 30 minutes until golden brown all over!
- Serve with tomato sauce and a fork!