This is one of our favourite recipes from our cook book, ‘Once a Month Cooking‘ (available in Big W, Myer and all good book stores). Grab it now!
Forget Chicken Noodle Soup, if you’re sick or generally under the weather, this hearty, healthy and delicious Roasted Chicken and Garlic Soup is for you!
Full of lovely sweet roasted garlic cloves, baked chicken shredded into bite sized pieces with a kick of ginger, it will get you back on your feet in no time. Don’t be alarmed at the amount of garlic in this soup, when baked garlic becomes caramelised and the end result is a taste sensation.
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 20 Garlic Cloves
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 bunch Celery diced finely
- 2 Carrots diced finely
- 1 Brown Onion diced finely
- 2 tsp Ginger freshly grated
- 1 kg Chicken Breast
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Spread the chicken breasts evenly over the tray, drizzle with one tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Separate the garlic cloves but leave their skin on.
- Place on the baking tray with the chicken breasts.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken just cooked through and the garlic is baked and caramelised.
- Allow to cool slightly and slice the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Gently squeeze the garlic cloves and the cooked centres will 'pop' out of their jackets. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan add the other tablespoon of olive oil and heat gently.
- Fry the onions, ginger, celery and carrot pieces until they start to colour.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer on a very low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and garlic and heat for another few minutes.