A Sand Cake is a very old-fashioned cake like a cross between a light sponge and a heavy butter cake.
It makes for a wonderful birthday cake and can be made in large batches. It freezes really really well and is great iced, buttered – or just plain on its own! Plus it has easy, basic ingredients that every kitchen will have, and it is very very economical to make!
I’ve been making Sand Cake for about 25 years now, and it is still one of the best recipes I have on hand as it works every single time!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 1 cup Flour Self-Raising
- 1 tbsp Cornflour (or custard powder)
- 125 grams Butter
- 3/4 cup Sugar Caster
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a greased pan with non-stick baking paper.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Using electric beaters, beat for 6 minutes until pale and creamy.
- Spread evenly into the loaf pan.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Stand for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.