Sausage Casserole is an easy “all in” recipe that provides a wonderful and complete dinner for the entire family!
I love to use the honey flavoured sausages in cooking, they just give a wonderful almost caramelised flavour, but beef or Pork sausage are just fine if you want to cut costs.
For this low-cost version, we used thin beef sausages, which are usually purchased in bulk and can be easily frozen.
For the price estimates here we’ve used a large national supermarket, but it’s possible (and highly encouraged) for you to look around at your local farmers market, local butcher or at discount grocers. You’re likely to find many of these ingredients even cheaper there!
More Reading: The 8 Best Sausage Roll Recipes to Make at Home
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 2 Medium Potatoes thinly sliced - $1.20
- 2 Carrots sliced - $0.90
- 1 Onion sliced - $0.55
- 1/4 cup Rice uncooked - $0.30
- 8 Sausage uncooked - $3.30
- 200 ml Water $0.00
- 1 cup Cheese grated -$0.80
- 420 grams Tomato Soup $1.00
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Slice potatoes & line the base of a casserole dish with a few layers.
- Add a layer of chopped carrots.
- Separate onion rings & layer on top of carrot.
- Sprinkle over rice.
- Arrange sausages on top.
- Pour over tin of tomato soup & 1/2 tin of water.
- Bake for 1 & 1/2 hours covered.
- Remove lid & cook for another 30 min.
- Add grated cheese for the last 10-15min or until melted & golden.