There are some treats we just don’t seem to get in Australia, and this Southern Sweet Potato Pie is one of them. It’s a very traditional American dessert, typically served during the Thanksgiving holidays. That being said, we’re always looking…
There are some treats we just don’t seem to get in Australia, and this Southern Sweet Potato Pie is one of them. It’s a very traditional American dessert, typically served during the Thanksgiving holidays.
That being said, we’re always looking for desserts that include vegetables for our more picky eaters, and while this is far from healthy, it’s super delicious and a great way to use sweet potatoes when they’re in season. For this recipe we’ve used a store-bought pastry shell, but feel free to make your own as well.
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 1/4 cup Butter softened slightly
- 1 cup Sugar or less, to taste
- 2 Eggs beaten well until fluffy
- 2 cups Sweet Potato boiled and mashed until smooth
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 tsp Allspice
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Pastry Pie Shell between 20-22cm across
Looking to lose Weight?
Join the new Weight Watchers Reimagined.GET 50% OFF THE FIRST 3 MONTHS ON SELECT PLANS.
Check It Out >
- Preheat oven 190 degrees and set aside pastry shell in prepared baking dish.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with a mixer. Add in the fluffy eggs, which you should have already beaten well, and mix until combined.
- To this add the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and sweet potato. Mix until the mixture is smooth, picking out any stringy parts of the sweet potato and discarding as required.
- Pour the smooth mixture into the pastry shell and bake in oven for 45-50 minutes, or until centre is set. Serve with whipped cream.