This recipe is brought to you by Affordable Wholefoods.
This yummy, meat-free Sweet Potato & Lentil Sausage Roll is one of the best foods we’ve tasted so far.
They’re bite-sized, filled with lots of nutrients and packed with flavour. They are great for family dinners, weekend picnics or one of your party appetisers for those who don’t eat meat. A perfect alternative if you’re one to love mince-filled puff pastries and sausage rolls – these may taste different, but still incredibly satisfying!
This super delicious vegetarian recipe is made using organic French Puy lentils and Rolled Oats from Affordable Wholefoods, an online wholefoods retailer. They sell quality wholefoods with a wide range of organic, non-organic and gluten free wholefoods at discounted prices. Check out their website and shop quality whole foods!
They deliver to anywhere in Australia.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE VEGAN:
Leave out the cheese and substitute the egg for a teaspoon of coconut oil.
Affordable Wholefoods stores can also found in Lismore and Coffs Harbour. Check out their Facebook.
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 1 Pack Of Filo Pastry (10 Sheets)
- 1 Egg beaten
- 2 tsp Organic White OR Black Sesame Seeds
- 1 Red Onion, Finely Diced
- 1 Clove Of Garlic, Diced
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 tsp Moroccan Spice
- 400 grams Sweet Potato peeled and grated
- 200 grams French Puy Lentils cooked
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
- 1 1/2 cups Vintage Cheddar
- 2 tbsp Finely Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 Egg, Beaten
- To make the filling, heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring until soft.
- Add the spice and cook for a further minute then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining oil to the same hot pan and cook the sweet potato for about 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked sweet potato to the onions bowl and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200’C and line 2 large oven trays with baking paper. Add the lentils, breadcrumbs, oats, cheese, parsley and egg to the sweet potato mixture. Season and mix well.
- Divide the filling mixture into 5 portions. Lay out two sheets of filo pastry (one on top of the other) at a time. Shape the mixture into a firm log at one end of the filo pastry. Roll up to enclose the filling, brushing the edge of the
- pastry with egg before rolling over to seal. Repeat this 4 more times.
- Cut each roll into 6 pieces (it helps to use a bread knife). Place the seam side down on the lined oven trays and brush the tops with egg.
- Sprinkle with black sesame seeds and bake in the oven for around 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with a tomato relish of your choice.
- Gluten Free
- Gluten Free