If you’re a watermelon lovin’ guy or gal, then this Healthy Watermelon Birthday Cake would be perfect for you.
Who says cakes should always be chocolatey or sweet? This one is an easy, fresh and delicious treat for adults and for kids.
This Watermelon Cake is the perfect gluten free or egg free Birthday Cake or a fun fresh ‘cake’ treat for morning or afternoon tea. Made from fresh fruit, it is a delicious dessert for any time of year!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
Nutritional information does not include the following ingredients:
- Watermelon -whole
- 1 large Watermelon -whole
- 250 grams Strawberries, Fresh halved & tops removed
- 125 grams Blueberries
- 320 grams White Frosting
- 1 medium Strawberry - Whole for decoration
More Easy Recipes
Love This Recipe, Grab Jody’s BookALL-NEW RECIPES TO FEED YOUR FAMILY OF FOUR FOR ONLY $50 A WEEK
- Using a sharp knife cut both ends off your watermelon to create a flat surface.
- Place watermelon on one of the cut ends, this will ensure a sturdy surface to cut the skin off your watermelon.
- To remove the watermelon skin, slice from top to bottom in strips. Repeat this until all skin is removed. You now have a whole watermelon (with no skin) that looks like a soccer ball.
- Turn the watermelon onto its side and cut into 4 layers. The first piece you will need to cut about 3cm from the top, slicing all the way through; to give you a larger top for decorating.
- The second cut will make the top layer of your cake. Cut 4-5cm in height and cut all the way through to give you a nice even layer. Set aside on a plate.
- The third cut, slice this layer 2cm in height all the way through. This will allow the base to be larger in diameter than the top and gives you a ledge to place your blueberries on when decorating.
- The fourth cut is to trim the base, use a strawberry as your guide for height. Cut the base layer to give a round base just higher than your strawberry.
- Place the base layer of watermelon on your serving plate, we used a nice round chopping board. Place the top layer of watermelon on top ready for cream or icing.
- Spoon dollop cream on watermelon and spread with a spatula until evenly coated. You can also use cream cheese frosting or plain white icing if you prefer.
- Place cut strawberries around the base of cake cut side against the cake and point facing up.
- Place blueberries in a line around the middle of the cake on the 'ledge' in between the two layers.
- Place remaining strawberries in a circle around the top edge of the cake, with a circle of blueberries inside and top with one whole strawberry in the centre.