Healthy Watermelon Birthday Cake
Looking for an easy, fresh and delicious treat for the kids? This Watermelon Cake is the perfect gluten free or egg free Birthday Cake or a fun fresh ‘cake’ treat for morning or afternoon tea. Made from fresh fruit, it is a delicious dessert for any time of year!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
Nutritional information does not include the following ingredients:
- Watermelon -whole
- 1 large Watermelon -whole
- 250 grams Strawberries, Fresh halved & tops removed
- 125 grams Blueberries
- 320 grams White Frosting
- 1 medium Strawberry - Whole for decoration
- Using a sharp knife cut both ends off your watermelon to create a flat surface.
- Place watermelon on one of the cut ends, this will ensure a sturdy surface to cut the skin off your watermelon.
- To remove the watermelon skin, slice from top to bottom in strips. Repeat this until all skin is removed. You now have a whole watermelon (with no skin) that looks like a soccer ball.
- Turn the watermelon onto its side and cut into 4 layers. The first piece you will need to cut about 3cm from the top, slicing all the way through; to give you a larger top for decorating.
- The second cut will make the top layer of your cake. Cut 4-5cm in height and cut all the way through to give you a nice even layer. Set aside on a plate.
- The third cut, slice this layer 2cm in height all the way through. This will allow the base to be larger in diameter than the top and gives you a ledge to place your blueberries on when decorating.
- The fourth cut is to trim the base, use a strawberry as your guide for height. Cut the base layer to give a round base just higher than your strawberry.
- Place the base layer of watermelon on your serving plate, we used a nice round chopping board. Place the top layer of watermelon on top ready for cream or icing.
- Spoon dollop cream on watermelon and spread with a spatula until evenly coated. You can also use cream cheese frosting or plain white icing if you prefer.
- Place cut strawberries around the base of cake cut side against the cake and point facing up.
- Place blueberries in a line around the middle of the cake on the 'ledge' in between the two layers.
- Place remaining strawberries in a circle around the top edge of the cake, with a circle of blueberries inside and top with one whole strawberry in the centre.