Many people do not know how to make custard from scratch, but it is so easy and you know that there won’t be any colouring or nasty additives.
This is a very easy and simple recipe to make your own. Perfect to make for the kids to come home after school on a winter afternoon and have warm custard to fill their belly! Tastes better than the shop bought and goes really well with puddings, cakes and ice creams.
This recipe is always a fantastic ‘base’ recipe to make ice cream from scratch! Enjoy!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 2 Egg Yolks room temperature
- 2 tsp Corn Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a jug whisk together the egg yolks, cornflour and sugar until well combined.
- In a saucepan gently heat the milk and vanilla until warm (not hot!), remove from the heat and add the milk to the egg mixture.
- Tip it back into the saucepan and whisk constantly until boiling. Take off the heat and whisk until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (if mixture isn't thickening, gently heat again).
- Serve hot or cold. If serving cold - add a layer of plastic wrap to the surface of the custard to prevent a skin forming.