I was recently invited to go to Italy courtesy of the beautiful Zonin Family, owners of the very best wineries in Italy! How do I know! I tried the wines – and they were truly beautiful! My favourite being the Zonin Prosecco which is available in Australia now – from your local bottlo. And I urge you to try it – it is sweet, but not too sweet. Light, refreshing, bubbly and the perfect drink for the hot weather in Australia.
But you know what, I like to experiment. I had seen recipes in the past for champagne cakes, and yes, they were nice. But I find champagne very dry. The sweetness in the Zonin Prosecco makes these cupcakes just amazing. It gives them a nice lightness, a nice sweetness, and makes for a cupcake that is decadent and delicious – perfect for a dinner party!
Oh by the way – this is a piccie of Francesco Zonin – seriously nice guy (and total spunk rat). Enjoy!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 2 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2/3 cups Butter
- 1 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 3/4 cups Zonin Prosecco
- 6 Egg Whites
More Easy Recipes
Love This Recipe, Grab Jody’s BookALL-NEW RECIPES TO FEED YOUR FAMILY OF FOUR FOR ONLY $50 A WEEK
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 10-inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until very light and fluffy. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together, and then blend into creamed mixture alternately with champagne.
- In a large clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into batter to lighten it, then fold in remaining egg whites. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.