Urgh, if it’s not grey hairs, it’s damn wrinkles!
Unfortunately, as we age our body sends out some tell-tale signs and although grey is easier to hide, there are some inexpensive home remedies that can really help those fine lines and wrinkles.
Here are a few to try but as with most things, you may not see much of an improvement with the first application. Unfortunately, most things take a period of continued use to work. But stick with it and you’ll be amazed at the results!
1. Hydration Hydration Hydration
Hydration. Be certain that you are drinking ample water and your skin is getting the moisture restoration it needs from the inside! It’s free and from the tap – so get your 8 – 10 glasses a day and drink your way to fewer wrinkles. Keep a water bottle near you during the day and monitor how much you are drinking.
2. Take a Good Quality Daily Multivitamin
Vitamins and Antioxidants play a huge role in the appearance of your skin. Taking a good quality multivitamin which contains Omega 3, vitamins A,C and E as well as a variety of antioxidants and ensuring you consume a healthy well balanced diet goes a long way to aiding the treatment and prevention of wrinkles.
Another fantastic supplement fantastic for the skin is collagen. You can even enjoy Collagen Coffee which is the best of both worlds!
3. Use Sunscreen Daily
Protect your skin from the harsh elements with daily sunscreen application and moisturisers. Remember the cancer council’s ads and jingle for sun safety? Sticking to the good old “SLIP, SLOP, SLAP” will do a lot more than stop sunburn and decrease the chances of skin cancer.
If your skin is sensitive to sunscreen, apply it on your face but away from your eyes. Always wear a hat when you are out in the sun and get a good tint on your driving window to stop those aging rays from hitting your face.
4. Get Good Rest and Relaxation
Ensure that you are getting enough sleep and “down time”. Lack of sleep and high levels of stress can add years to your appearance. Rapidly increasing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It’s said that for every 200 frowns you gain another small fine line.
Now we’ve addressed the basics let’s add in some ‘less heard’ and topical treatments/preventatives to the list.
5. Sleep on Your Back
Always sleep on your back. When sleeping on your sides or belly, your skin relaxes but ‘sits’ unnaturally or gets squashed up and over time it stretches and will begin to sag as well as wrinkle.
6. Use Upwards Cleaning Motions
When applying anything to your face, use a gentle upward, circular motion and be careful not to overstretch the delicate skin around your eyes when applying Mascara.
7. Use Honey to Feed Your Skin
Apply honey to your skin, leave it for a few minutes then rinse off. Use a good quality raw honey like Melaleuca to leave the skin exceptionally soft, rejuvenated and moisturised. If you apply some to your face and leave it for a few minutes while in the shower a combination of the honey and the steam penetrates deeply into the skin and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles!
8. Other Natural Home Remedies for Wrinkles
- Sliced potato, when wiped onto the area around eyes will as it dries you will both feel and see a decrease in fine lines and wrinkles!
- Daily application of coconut oil works wonders for wrinkles, lines, moisture balance and a variety of skin conditions like psoriasis, dermatitis and eczema.
- Make a mix of equal parts Rose water; Glycerin and Lime Juice then apply to your face before going to bed. The mixture needs to stay on your face overnight. Wash off with luke warm water in the morning.
- Smear some freshly cracked egg white over your face and leave it for at least 15 minutes. Wash off with warm water and pat dry to reveal tighter, younger looking skin.
- Using lemon juice as a wash away toner works wonderfully for blemishes as well as wrinkles as it is a natural astringent. Wipe it over your face and leave it for 10 minutes before rinsing clean.
- Make a paste using finely minced garlic, olive oil, a little facial cleanser and some sugar; massage into skin in circular motions, then rinse with warm water. It tightens the skin and when it’s washed away the smell goes with it.
- Sofia Loren was voted the world’s most naturally beautiful woman at the ripe age of 72 years and she attributed her glowing, young looks to a love of life and Olive Oil. Extra Virgin Olive oil cold pressed is the best to use as it hasn’t been processed like the ‘other types’. Use sparingly as a daily moisturiser for incredible skin hydration and wrinkle treatment. Hey if it was good enough for her and the Ancient Romans then it’s good enough for me!
What other tips do you have for wrinkle treatments or prevention?