Got some leftover mashed potato from the night before? Don’t throw it out! Turn it into Bubble and Squeak a hearty and delicious breakfast!
This used to be traditional Sunday breakfast fare in my house growing up – it gets its name from the noise it makes when it’s cooking in the pan!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
Nutritional information does not include the following ingredients:
- Plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- Microwave or fry the cabbage until just soft.
- Squeeze out any extra liquid and leave it to cool.
- Finely chop the cabbage and place it in a bowl with the mashed potato and any other leftover veggies.
- Add the egg, cheese and mustard and mix until just combined (don't overwork the mixture).
- Form six patties with your hands, and dust with flour.
- Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to firm up before frying.
- In a frypan heat the butter until bubbling.
- Cook the patties for 3 - 5 minutes on each side, using an egg flip to turn them over. Try and get a nice crust formed on either side of the pattie.
- Serve the bubble and squeak hot! I like them with a poached egg and hollandaise sauce (see picture) just for something fancy!