Burnt Sugar Butter Cake was something that many of the SAHM team remember their grandmothers whipping up for special occasions. The yummy burnt sugar flavour really brings this cake to a whole new level, and we just love the texture. This is the perfect cake for an event, and it really feeds more than a few hungry mouths.
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 125 grams Caster Sugar
- 75 ml Water hot
- 3 cups Plain Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Butter
- 1 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 3 Eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2/3 cup Milk
More Easy Recipes
Love This Recipe, Grab Jody’s BookALL-NEW RECIPES TO FEED YOUR FAMILY OF FOUR FOR ONLY $50 A WEEK
- To make the burnt sugar, put the sugar in a heavy-bottomed frying pan over a medium-high heat. Stir this occasionally as the sugar starts to melt.
- When the sugar becomes a very dark brown take if off the heat and add the hot water very slowly and stir until it is dissolved. Set is aside to cool.
- To make the cake, preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line two round cake tins with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and the baking powder. For a very fluffy cake, sift it several times.
- In another bowl cream the butter and the sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs in one at a time, beating well after each one. Stir in both the vanilla and the brown sugar syrup you made earlier.
- Add the dry ingredients and the milk alternatively to the creamed butter/sugar mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the cake tins and bake for 25-30 minutes. Eat as is or top with whatever you like. We drizzled ours with caramel (tinned) and some crushed nuts.