How to Make Caramel in the Microwave
Making Caramel in the Microwave is a quick easy way to make a caramel for a dessert tart or a pie, and a different way to make caramel than in the can on the stove……it’s worth a try!
Now – this requires 110% of your concentration – you can’t look away for a second. (Unless you want to clean up a great big mess…. been there – done that!!!)
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- Pour the condensed milk into the container and cook on high for 1 minute.
- Take it out and stir with a whisk.
- Put it back - do the same again - keeping a very close eye on it.... if it looks like its going to boil over - stop the microwave immediately, take out the bowl and whisk. Don't stick your finger in the mixture - it is scalding HOT.
- Next - on 50% power - keep cooking the mixture for one minute at a time - again keeping an eye that it doesn't boil over. Sometimes you can get caramel in 5 minutes - sometimes 10 - I find the older the tin of condensed milk - the quicker it turns to caramel.
- You know its ready when it is goes slightly 'yellow' in colour and the mixture looks very 'mottled'. Just take it out and whisk until smooth.