Frugal Moussaka Recipe
I must admit I had never eaten Frugal Moussaka until my 30’s – and I then wondered why my Mum hadn’t made it before! It’s like a ‘different’ shepherds pie – this version is very cheap and easy to make – so perfect for Stay at Home Mum!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
Nutritional information does not include the following ingredients:
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 medium Eggplants
- 500 grams Beef minced
- 1 tsp Garlic crushed
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Brown Onion
- 1 Carrot grated
- 1 Zucchini
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese grated
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- Salt And Pepper
- 500 ml Beef Stock
Looking to lose Weight?
Join the new Weight Watchers Reimagined.GET 50% OFF THE FIRST 3 MONTHS ON SELECT PLANS.
Check It Out >
How to Make Frugal Moussaka
- In a frypan heat the olive oil, add the chopped onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add the beef mince and brown well over medium heat.
- Add the grated carrot and zucchini and the beef stock.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until the mixture thickens and reduces.
- Slice the eggplant into even slices and arrange on a baking tray.
- Season with salt and pepper and bake for five minutes to soften slightly.
- Spread half the slices of eggplant over the bottom of your casserole dish, then pile high with the savoury mince mixture.
- Place the remaining slices on top and pour over the white sauce.
- Add the 1/2 cup of cheese and bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Serve with garlic bread and a garden salad.
To make the white sauce:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave dish until bubbling.
- Add the flour and return to the heat to cook the flour 'out'.
- Stir in the milk and use a whisk beat it smooth.
- Add to the heat until it thickens slightly, whisk in the eggs and seasonings.