Slow Cooker Pea and Ham Soup is hearty and delicious.
I looove love love Slow Cooker Pea and Ham Soup in the winter or even in the autumn. I make a huge batch at the beginning of winter and freeze into single serves.
Sometimes, hubby takes a serve for lunch with a crusty bread roll. You can buy ham hocks from the deli section of your local supermarket. Make sure after a few hours of cooking you remove the fatty skin!
How to Make it Fart Free:
Many people are reluctant to eat Pea and Ham Soup as it makes them a bit gassy! But we know just how to eliminate that! Make sure you soak the peas overnight, then dispose of the water – don’t use the same water in the slow cooker – it is this water that is full of farts! Rinse well and then use!
Allow the soup to cool to room temperature. Grab some medium sized zip lock bags. 3/4 fill each bag with the soup. Seal well and freeze on a flat surface until frozen. Then stack the soup upright (so it doesn’t take up much room in the freezer).
Make sure you write on the bag the name of the contents and the used by date. Pea and Ham Soup will freeze well for up to six months.
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 2 Onion
- 2 Celery Sticks
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Ham Hock 1000 gram
- 2 Potatoes, Medium Size or sweet potato
- 8 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Split Peas 500 Grams) yellow or green
How to Make Pea & Ham Soup:
- Rinse the split peas well and if you have the time, soak them in water in the fridge overnight.
- Discard the water and add to the slow cooker.
- Put the ham hock into the pot or slow cooker and cover with chicken stock.
- Allow the hock and peas to cook on high for four hours.
- Roughly chop the vegetables and add them to the slow cooker.
- Turn it onto low, and cook for another four hours or until the peas have melted (stir every few hours) and the hock is starting to fall apart.
- Using tongs, remove the ham hock from the slow cooker and remove and discard the skin.
- Chop the ham up into chunky pieces and add back to the slowcooker and season to taste.