When it comes to family-friendly dinners, it doesn’t get much better than this Wild Rice And Chicken Soup. The flavours pair perfectly together, and because it uses a slow cooker it’s not much more work than ‘set and forget’.
Even though there are only a small amount of herbs in this, do not leave them out. They really kick the flavour up in a subtle way, and bring everything to completion.
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
Nutritional information does not include the following ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cups Wild Rice
- 500 grams Chicken Breast
- 1/2 cup Celery diced
- 1/2 cup Carrot diced
- 1 cup Onion diced
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 2/3 tsp Dried Thyme
- 2/3 tsp Dried Sage
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 2/3 cup Plain Flour
- 1 3/4 cups Milk full fat for full flavour
- Rinse the wild rice well and place it in a slow cooker with the raw chicken, vegetables, chicken broth and herbs.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. At this point the chicken will be cooked through and the rice will be soft. There will also be extra liquid in the pot, but do not drain it away.
- Remove the chicken breasts and allow to cool slightly. Shred the chicken using two forks. Return to slow cooker.
- When you have done this, melt butter in a saucepan. Add the flour, and let mix bubble for one minute. Slowly whisk in the milk until it becomes a thick and creamy mixture.
- Add this to the rice and chicken in the slow cooker, stirring to combine. At this point you can add some extra water, or some extra milk, to adjust the soup’s consistency. Season as preferred.