No matter how much the kids whinge that there is “nothing in the cupboard,” if you have these pantry staples on hand, you and your family will never go hungry!
With all the hoo haa at the moment about us possibly being quarantined for up to two weeks, the thoughts having a good staple of basic ingredients in your pantry comes to mind!
With a well stocked pantry – you always have a meal on hand.
You don’t have to buy in bulk all at once – it is a matter of buying a few items, as they come on sale – to add to your pantry collection.
For starters, you can’t effectively meal plan with a sparse cupboard. We all know that bulk buying is a crucial aspect of meal planning and frugal living because it helps you save money.
On the other hand, running to the grocery store each time you realise you lack something only causes you to spend more. First, you consume gasoline, and second, you’re more likely to buy more unnecessary things (and junk food — gasp!).
These could have been avoided if you bought your groceries in bulk with a complete pantry essentials list in hand.
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Salmon, Tuna and Sardines
- Baked Beans
- Chickpeas, Lentils, Navy Beans
- Evaporated Milk
- Condensed Milk
- Coconut Milk and Coconut Cream
- Pineapple Pieces
- Beetroot (baby, sliced, diced)
- Tomato Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup, Mushroom Soup
- Apricot Nectar
- Corn Kernels
- Creamed Corn
- Rice (Basmati, Long Grain, Brown and Jasmine)
- Noodles (Rice)
- Pasta (Spaghetti, Macaroni, Lasagne Sheets)
- Cereals (Rice Bubbles, Cornflakes)
- Rolled Oats
- Self Raising Flour and Plain Flour
- Baking Powder
- Cream of Tartar
- Sugar (white, caster, brown)
- Bicarbonate of Soda
- Cocoa Powder
- Dried Yeast
- Golden Syrup
- Dried Fruit
Oils, Condiments and Spices:
- Olive Oil, Vegetable Oil, Coconut Oil, Canola Oil
- Vinegar (White, Brown and Apple Cider)
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Tomato Sauce, Barbecue Sauce, Soy Sauce
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Curry Powder
- French Onion Soup Mix (Dry)
- Liquid Stock (Chicken, Beef and Vegetable)
- Tomato Paste
- Crushed Garlic
- Oregano, Thyme, Smoked Paprika, Cinnamon, Turmeric
- Salt and Pepper
Dairy and Deli:
- Cheese (Slices, Feta, Cheddar, Creamed)
- Pita Bread
- Puff Pastry, Shortcrust Pastry
- Frozen Vegetables
- Peanut Butter
No list? Worry not because we already made a pretty one just for you. Download and print to your heart’s content!