What makes a movie scary? Is it the movie that stays with you for years after (I’m looking at you, “Children of the Corn”) or is it the movie that keeps you awake — for days?
Love them or hate them, they are a beloved genre of movies that are here to stay. And if you are looking for truly scary, then let’s take you on a journey to the scariest, most frightful and chilling movies — of all time (scary laugh!!!).
Prepare to have sleepless nights as you cross off your list one by one…
50. The Conjuring (2013)
- IMDB Rating: 7.5 / 10
- Rotten Tomatoes: 7.4 / 10
- Classic line: “When the music stops, you’ll see him in the mirror standing behind you.”
Paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren work to help a family terrorised by a dark presence in their farmhouse.
49. The Babadook (2014)
- IMDB Rating: 6.9 / 10
- Rotten Tomatoes: 8.3 / 10
- Classic Line: “Ba-ba-ba… dook, Dook… DOOOOOOOOK!”
A single mother and her son are plagued by the violent death of her husband. Her son has a fear that there is a monster in the house… and there is!
48. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
- IMDB Rating: 7.4 / 10
- Rotten Tomatoes: 6.7 / 10
- Classic line: “When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.”
A nurse, a policeman, a young married couple, a salesman, and other survivors of a worldwide plague that is producing aggressive, flesh-eating zombies, take refuge in a mega Midwestern shopping mall.
47. The Mothman Prophecies (2002)
- IMDB Rating: 6.5 / 10
- Rotten Tomatoes: 5.5 / 10
- Classic Line: “Are they trying to warn me?”
A reporter is drawn to a small West Virginia town to investigate a series of strange events, including psychic visions and the appearance of bizarre entities.
46. The Evil Dead II (1987)
- IMDB Rating: 7.8 / 10
- Rotten Tomatoes: 8 / 10
- Classic Line: “That’s right… who’s laughing now? Who’s laughing now?”
The lone survivor of an onslaught of flesh-possessing spirits holds up in a cabin with a group of strangers while the demons continue their attack.