You simply can’t go wrong with this kind of comfort food…pastry, mashed potato, corned beef and white sauce (I know right!) and it is so amazing that even some of the children of our office staff went back for thirds!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
Nutritional information does not include the following ingredients:
- Vinegar (Brown)
- Potatoes, medium size
1. Place corned beef in slow cooker cover with water, add brown vinegar and ground cloves. Cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 on low.
2. Once corned beef is cooked, thinly slice.
3. Peel and chop potato and onion, add to medium saucepan cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until potato and onion are soft.
4. Drain water, add milk and butter and mash. Set aside and make white sauce.
5. Preheat oven to 170 degree.
6. Grease tin with butter, we used a heart shaped tin. This ensures your pastry to come out nice and golden without sticking. Line tin with pastry sheets allowing pastry to overhang.
7. In layers start with lining the base of the pastry with a layer of mashed potato, then add a layer of corned beef top with white sauce and repeat until all ingredients are used and tin is full.
8. Fold the overhang of pastry up to create a top for the pie. It will not meet in the middle so just sprinkle the center with 1/3 cup grated cheese.
9. Brush pastry with melted butter and bake for 45-60 minutes until golden brown.
Serve hot with steamed vegetables.
Recipe Hints and Tips:
- Pink Pie is suitable for freezing for up to 3 months. Keep refrigerated for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- Add 1 teaspoon of nutmeg to your white sauce it really complements the corned beef.