6. He was a jack-of-all-trades.
As a kid, he was a chess player. He enjoyed painting. He played hockey. He used to spend a bit of time at the racetrack as his dad, Kim, was a race-car driver. Multi-skilled is an understatement!
7. He was the only actor to be nominated for an Academy Award for a Batman film.
He was not only the first and only actor to be nominated for an Academy Award for his portrayal of the Joker, but the first and only actor to secure an acting nomination for a Batman film.
8. He was only the second person to win a posthumous acting Oscar. The first was Peter Finch.
9. He was supposed to take on another movie after he died.
The day after he died, he was supposed to meet with Steven Spielberg to explore the idea of playing Tom Hayden in a movie about the Chicago 7.
10. His legacy will live forever.
He was found dead at a downtown Manhattan apartment in New York, on Tuesday, January 22, 2008, due to cardiac arrest, but his memory lives on in his amazing films, and in his daughter, Matilda.