How to Start Your Own Makeup or Skincare Range with a Small Start-Up Cost
Ever dreamed of having your own line of makeup? Or designing your very own skincare range with ingredients you love? In the past, if you didn’t have a degree in chemistry – the thought of designing a makeup or skincare range of your own was totally out of reach. Now – it isn’t. Now you can find and design your own range – and it’s called ‘White Labelling’ – and it is fabulous!
What if you could turn a passion into a little extra cash on the side? Here’s everything you need to know about starting your own makeup or skincare range with a small start-up cost.
Small Makeup and Skincare Brands are Doing Big Things!
Now with the ease of shipping worldwide – many small startup skincare and makeup brands can sell directly to their customers rather than stocking their products in large Department Stores or chemists who take a whopping big cut of profits. Purchasers are also savvier now, looking for quality ingredients, eco-friendliness of packaging and the people behind the brand – rather than supporting large corporations.
Online shopping is only growing – and because of white labelling where someone creates a product for you – bottles it and even brands it for you – it is easier than ever before to start your own line.
Decide on What Skincare or Makeup Niche You Want to Try
We have a solution to find your products later in this article – but first – what area of makeup or skincare feeds your passion. Here are some suggestions that are trending in the industry right now:
- Crystal Rollers
- Subscription Box Makeup or Skincare
- Korean Skincare
- Your own branded range of Essential Oils
- Silk Sleeping Caps
Maybe you just like a particular scent and want to focus on that? Something that will make your line unique to you and your new business.
More Reading: Where to Buy Wholesale Essential Oils
Take The Plunge
It’s often the decision to give it a go and start up your own business that’s the hardest step of your venture. You have a million questions flooding your head, not to mention all the doubts that are fighting their way through.
- What if it fails?
- What if I can’t keep up with the work?
- What if I throw our money down the drain?
What if”¦you succeed? Try asking yourself this question instead. The fact is, starting up your own skincare and makeup range doesn’t have to be an expensive endeavour. There’s little risk in it for you, so stop questioning your success and start making it happen instead.
White Labelled Products Are Your Solution
Many savvy women wouldn’t even entertain the idea of setting up their own makeup and skincare line. After all, where would you start? How would you even begin to find the right ingredients, not to mention all the testing that is needed to ensure your product is safe.
It sounds like a logistical nightmare and that’s exactly what it is.
That’s where white labelling comes into the picture. Now that you’ve decided to take the plunge with your new business venture, the next step is to work out the ‘how’. And this is it.
There are a number of skincare and beauty manufacturers out there who have already done all this hard work for you. They’ve created products from scratch, they’ve tested them and they know they’re great. This is where you step in. You choose the bottles, you choose the branding, and voila you have your very own product. How easy is that?!
Of course, there is still plenty of hard work that goes into it.
More Reading: List of White Label Skincare and Beauty Companies
How Does White Labelling Work?
Did you know: the beauty industry is one of the fastest-growing consumer categories. If you need any more convincing, this is it. Beauty is a lucrative industry and there’s always room for one more.
So, how exactly does white labelling work?
The idea is very simple. The manufacturer you choose sells the goods to you in bulk for a wholesale cost. White labelling is so commonplace these days, it’s easy to find a manufacturer that allows you to also purchase in small batches. This saves you the upfront costs so you can test the market first. You then rebrand them with your own name and packaging, to on-sell to the public.
You reap all the rewards, without having to create the product from scratch yourself.
More Reading: List of Skincare and Makeup White Labelling Companies
Choosing A Skincare or Makeup Manufacturer
We have done all the hard work for you! Head over to our handy list of white label skincare and makeup companies and find one that works for you. Once you know what products you want to stock, it’s time to decide the bottles you plan to use for each and how you will brand them with your business name.
Here’s what you should be looking for in a manufacturer:
- They have similar goals to you: you want to make sure you’re both a good fit for each other.
- They offer a superior product you’re happy with: you can’t sell a product you don’t believe in. Make sure you test out a few products and they are up to your quality standards.
- They have a good reputation: it helps to do a little research and make sure they’re a reputable company.
- Their contract terms are clear: the last thing anyone wants is confusion about expectations and terms and conditions. Ask plenty of questions before going ahead and signing anything.
- They offer support: you want a manufacturer that is willing to help you rebrand your products to your vision. One that goes above and beyond to create a custom product just for you with your branding.
How Much Will It Cost to Start?
Well, that will depend on the ingredients you are using, and the quantities to get started. Many White Label Companies have a minimum initial cost. Realistically, you could get a basic range for less than $2,000 with enough products to start selling to your customers.
Getting The Business Up And Running
Now you have both the commitment to start up a business and a fabulous way you can make it happen, it’s time to get down to the details. Here’s a quick rundown of what you’ll need to do:
- Choose a business name: do your research and take a look at social media to get some ideas. As soon as you have a name you love, run it by close friends and family and get their thoughts. Let’s be honest, not everyone is going to love it. It’s normal to have differing opinions and that’s fine! But someone might point out a glaring reason your name doesn’t work that you hadn’t considered. Feedback always helps. Once you have a name set in stone, register it!
- Socials: as soon as your business is registered, go ahead and set up social media accounts in that name. You don’t have to use them straight away, but it helps to have them ready to go so that no-one else takes them in the meantime.
- Website: consider whether you want to sell through a website, or just on your socials. If you’re going for a website, grab your domain name straight away so no-one else can. It can also help to purchase the variations as well. Domain names aren’t expensive and buying a couple means competitors can’t purchase and use them. If you’re looking into options for which e-commerce platform to use for your store, check these out. You may also choose to sell on a third-party site, such as eBay or Amazon.
- Design: get designing! Before you can go into business you need a logo that represents your business. You can outsource this task to a skilled designer, or to save costs, you might like to have a go at doing it yourself. There are plenty of programs out there to help you out, such as Canva.
- Branding: it’s time to order in some products from your chosen manufacturer and get to work on branding.
- Selling time! You’re finally here it’s time to get selling. You have a number of choices from social media, your website, word of mouth, mothers’ group, etc. The possibilities are endless.